Is PLAID clear acrylic sealer good for pencil drawings?



I'm a casual artist and I've always had problems with my finished pencil drawings smearing. The graphite rubs off of my fingers and smears the drawings. To prevent that, I purchased PLAID Clear Acrylic Sealer Matte and tested it out. Note: They also make a GLOSS sealer, which as I understand will make your drawings shinier. This review is of the MATTE.

Here are three dark graphite pencils (3B and 9B) on a plain sheet of 8 1/2" x 11" copy paper. Notice the slightly darker shade of the paper on the right side where the sealer was applied. This darker shade is consistent with other sealers I've used before, even on thicker drawing paper.

As you can clearly see in this photo, PLAID Acrylic Sealer prevents smearing very well (in fact, after I wrote this, just to make sure, I've vigorously rubbed my finger back and forth over the sprayed part and it still didn't smear).

As most artists know, when you scan an image into the computer, it appears differently than it does in actuality. Here is what the same image looks like when scanned into the computer. Notice the slightly darker paper isn't even recognizable (my scanner is set to default settings).

So for casual artists who want a good, inexpensive fixative spray, PLAID's Clear Acrylic Sealer Matte does the job very well. Oh, plus it's made in the U.S.A., which I think is good anyway.



Directions (off of the spray can):
Use on clean, dry surface. For best results, use at room temperature (77 degrees F). Shake can vigorously for 30-60 seconds to mix thoroughly. Spray on scrap piece to test heaviness of spray. Hold can upright 10-12" from surface. For 1st coat, spray in quick, short mists over entire piece. Let dry 15 minutes between coats. For additional coats, spray lightly with a smooth side-to-side motion. Heavy coats may sag or run. After completing project, turn can upside down and spray to keep nozzle from clogging. Before using lacquer over prints, apply 4-5 coats of Clear Acrylic Sealer to prevent prints from bleeding.

No comments: